Saturday, June 13, 2009

Animated Radar Scanner using Inkscape and Imagemagick

I tried several new (to me) Inkscape features and effects in this animation of a radar screen:

  1. render grid
  2. neon object
  3. Animate GIsF

animated radar scanner


The Animate GIF Effect Plugin did not work well at all on my old notebook running Linux. I do not know whether others have had success with this Python add-in to Inkscape. It worked really hard on my project -- to fill up my /tmp DIR with images from which it would build the animation. But, my image layers were much too complex for this tool and I never let it finish. It came close to rendering an animated GIF, but after ten minutes, I killed the process and ran Imagemagick: it worked, as always, and gave me the desired product in . . . (I can't count the low) . . . microseconds..
Here is my convert command:
convert -delay 15 -loop 8 ./*.png animated-radar-scanner.gif


And, here is a sprite of the images that I exported from Inkscape and fed to Imagemagick using the convert command.


sprite of each frame

No comments:

Post a Comment