Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Great Blue Heron

I once spent approximately one month living off-the-land on an island in the Atlantic. While I saw few people during my stay, the remote island was a busy place, especially with regard to birds. The gulls owned the wild peas and the Great Blue Herons owned the trees. They would perch as high as they could in order to survey the ocean. I grew to respect their patience and their skill in fishing, but they could have improved on their landing skills. They would soar within reach of the landing, but they just could not control the landing. The noise that they made when crashing into the tree-tops was nerve-wracking.

Anyway, I grew to love their color, their markings, and their grace -- in the air, that is.


Great Blue Heron

I blended two photographs to make this image. I then applied a new, Inkscape 0.47 filter-effect to the landscape only: Filter > Morphology > Warm inside.



Great Blue Heron photo credit:


Landscape photo credit:

No comments:

Post a Comment